Thursday, March 7, 2013

Educate a Girl - Change the World

Last night I attended yet another exciting event, with the invite being extended to me by my parents... once again. As the cab dropped us off at the Paris Theater for the movie premiere of Girl Rising, judging by the ubiquitous amount of paparazzi standing next to the red carpet, it already appeared as if this was going to be quite a star-studded evening.



This heartfelt documentary focuses on the lives of 9 extraordinary young girls in 9 different countries, each telling their unique story through the voices of 9 well-known actresses, including Anne Hathaway, Meryl Streep, Selena Gomez, Alicia Keys and Salma Hayek. The movie highlights the importance of girl's education in the developing worlds. Throughout the film, many statistics are brought to life demonstrating how significant the problem of girl's education truly is (ex. "A girl with an extra year of education... can earn up to 20% more as an adult"). Considering most of the girl's families in the movie are barely able to afford any schooling at all, this really shows the affect not having an education will ultimately have on the girls. An education that here in the US we continuously take for granted. While I definitely remember days where I would wake up dreading to go to school and would do everything in my will power not to have my parents make me go... girls in other countries are actually showing up and being sent home due to insufficient funds.

All in all, I'm not normally a documentary... more or less movie person for that matter... but I would definitely recommend seeing this inspiring movie that comes into theaters today!

{Our ticket to the after party at TAO!}
After the movie premiere everyone headed over to TAO for cocktails and appetizers. I have never been to the New York location but judging from my past Las Vegas experience (the bouncer not letting me in with my REAL ID) I have since been hesitant about the place. We entered into what seemed like an Asian oasis with an enormous buddah and candles everywhere. The place was majestic and needless to say after trying their lychee martini and the perfectly cooked Kobe beef sliders I instantly fell in love. The night ended with chocolate covered strawberries and an inspirational speaker with a lasting note... "If you educate girls you can change the world". Think about it.

{Mother and I with our cocktails}

No comments:

Post a Comment