Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Last night: Zainab Salbi Book Signing & Half the Sky: Movement Game Launch

I have to admit. My parents get invited to the coolest events. Luckily for me, they always extend the invites, though you would think it would be the other way around.... :)

Last night I had the opportunity to finally meet in person the amazing lady I did my global comm 131 project on in college, Zainab Salbi. She is the founder of Women for Women International, an organization that helps women who have been victims of war and conflict rebuild their lives in eight different countries. She recently published a book that vividly demonstrated though beautiful photographs and emotional stories the lives of some of these struggling women. Listening to her speak about her different experiences while creating this book and traveling to these countries was very inspiring.
{Zainab Salbi and I at her private book signing}
After the book signing, we jetted off to another fab party at No. 8 for the launch of a social media app called Half the Sky: Movement. Having recently just been the venue for the Bloglovin x Who What Wear party a few weeks ago, I'm sure I was able to spot the black unmarked door much easier than some of the other party-gooers. If it weren't for the bouncer standing outside I doubt many people would have suspected that was the entrance to the oh-so-swanky No. 8. Inside, Olivia Wilde along with Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn mingled with guests and introduced this new social media game for change. In this era of new technology and every-changing media, it is was so interesting to learn about how online games can be used in conjunction with non-profits to raise funds and awareness for causes that can actually create real-life results.

{Olivia Wilde speaking at the Half the Sky: Movement game launch party}
Capping the night off at Death & Co. and PDT was the perfect finish for this March Monday evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment