Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Feather Me Up

Seen on A-list celebrities including Blake Lively, Vanessa Hudgens, Megan Fox, Jessica Biel, and many others, Hollywood just can't seem to get enough of this trend. Feathers are showing up in hair pieces and headbands, to accessories on dresses and shoes, they can definitely be a hit or miss look. There is the good, the bad, the ugly, and the just plain extreme. Not entirely sure how I first felt about this trend when it first originated, I finally gave in and went down to a local boutique and bought a feather extension to be installed in my hair. I chose a neutral brown color that blended nicely underneath the bottom layer of my brunette hair, only noticeable occasionally and peeking out when I put my hair up in a high ponytail. When I first looked in the mirror however, I had a serious case of buying remorse. To make matters worse, when I got home, I had a boy offer to get my so-called "rattail" out of my hair for me, clearly he was not up to date on this new trend. Over time it grew on me and it lasted almost 2 months; it could easily be brushes, blow-dried, straightened, and even curled just like natural hair. Moving on from feathers in my hair, my new favorite way to wear them is for earrings. There are a plentiful amount of different options in every color/length/style you can imagine at the street fairs here in NYC!




























The GOOD - Bright colored earrings are a perfect way to counterbalance a simple ensemble. Pairing hot pink earring with a simple jumpsuit, similar to what Gwenyth Paltrow has done in the past, is a perfect way to sport this look. A simple one feather necklace is just the right extra touch to any outfit, over a plain tee during the day or with a cocktail dress for a night out. You need to be careful when wearing clothes with feathers however, because you don't want to become a repeat of Bjork's infamous swan suit.

The BAD - No one wants to look like a peacock flew straight into their hair so steer clear of long feathered hats and extravagant hairbands. Unless you want your necklace to look like a feather trophy from your last hunting trip, keep it simple. As for feather clutches, you have to be careful to make sure it doesn't look like your carrying a dead bird in your hand everywhere you go. Feathers on your face and around your eyes, lets keep that for masquerade balls. For the pictured orange jacket, well there's no need to even explain that one.

What's your take on the feather trend?

No comments:

Post a Comment